Wayzata Police Department


Wayzata Police Department
600 Rice Street
Wayzata, MN 55391
(952) 404-5340

The Wayzata Police Department serves the citizens of Wayzata and Long Lake and employs 13 sworn police officers. The 13 sworn officers include a Police Chief, Lieutenant (serving as detective), Sergeant, School resource officer and 9 patrol officers. Non-sworn personnel consists of a full-time police administrative records specialist , a part-time records specialist and a part-time Community Service Officer. The department also has a volunteer Police Reserve Unit.

Crime Alerts

The Wayzata Police Department posts crime alerts about major incidents that occur and we need the public to be aware of. You can sign up for our crime alerts at www.wayzata.org/police.

Crime Prevention Coalition

Through citizen education and cooperation with the Wayzata Police and Fire Departments, the Wayzata Crime Prevention Coalition (WCPC) aims to help reduce crime in the greater Wayzata area. Our efforts will capitalize on the experience of other communities who have embarked on similar programs and to bring the national “Take a Bite Out of Crime” effort to a local level. For
more information, visit their website, www.wayzatacrimeprevention.org.

Dog Leash Law and Dog Waste Clean Up

All dogs are to be kept under restraint at all times. No owner shall permit his dog to damage or foul any lawn, garden or property of another person or on public property. An owner shall have the responsibility of cleaning up any feces of the animal and disposing of same in a sanitary manner. Pet owners, please get in a habit of carrying a plastic bag.

Dog Licensing

All dogs over the age of 6 months are required to be licensed through
the City. Print out the Dog License Application Form and bring in the
form to the Wayzata Police Department during regular business hours
or mail in the form with payment and proof of rabies vaccines. The fee
is $20 per dog for 1 year or $30 per dog for a 2 year license. A current
rabies certificate must be presented at the time of submission. To
download the Dog License Application form, go online to www.wayzata.org/DogLicense and click the application link. Owners with more than TWO dogs must apply yearly for a kennel license.

Emergencies & Non-Emergencies

Whenever you are requesting police response, contact us by dialing 9-1-1. Historically, the 9-1-1 system was rolled out as an “emergency only” way to contact police. Through a very good educational campaign, we were all taught to use the system for emergency purposes only. This is no longer the case. We ask that any time you are looking to speak with or see an officer, contact police by dialing 9-1-1.

There were no such things as computers in police cars when 9-1-1 was rolled out. With the advent of the Computer Aided Dispatch System (CAD), squads are equipped with computers. Dispatchers obtain initial information from the callers and enter that information into CAD. Call locations and addresses are mapped for officers to see. Any critical “Alert” data also appears, giving officers additional information and assisting with officer safety. All of this CAD data then self-populates into the officer’s police report. These efficiencies provide for more streamlined response and decreased paperwork and data entry for the officer.

Lost and Found

Lost or found something in Wayzata? Anyone who lost something can report their item lost. Found items are turned in to the Police Department at 952-404-5340.

Solicitors, Peddlers & Canvassers 

Solicitors, peddlers and canvassers are regulated by City Ordinance in Wayzata. Throughout the year, door-to-door soliciting, transient merchants, peddling, and canvassing questions are raised by Wayzata residents. While most of these activities are regulated by the City, they cannot be prohibited
entirely. A canvasser, for example, may go door-to-door without a permit from the City. Charitable organizations conducting door-to-door sales or solicitations do not need a license. However, the city does request that charitable organizations register. For-profit sale of products or services requires a license from the city. Only licensed peddlers and solicitors will have a photo ID issued by the city.

For complete details on peddlers, solicitors and transient merchants, read the license requirements in the Wayzata City Code at www.wayzata.org or contact the Deputy City Clerk at 952-404-5303 with questions.

For your safety, remember the following:

  • IF you feel uncomfortable opening your door to a solicitor for any reason, DON’T.
  • DO NOT let a peddler, solicitor, or canvasser into your home, even if they have a license.
  • A solicitor should not knock or ring your doorbell for the purpose of selling a product or service if the property is posted with a “No Solicitors” sign.
  • Call 911 to report suspicious persons or activities to the police.

Information and pictures courtesy of the City of Wayzata New Resident Guide, republished on Wayzata.com under authority of the Minnesota Legislature and the Minnesota Data Practices Act – Chapter 13.