Good morning Wayzata, and thanks for joining Wayzata.com for the Top 5 Stories of the week. Last week saw the passing of a Wayzata resident who was a Two Time World Series Champion, a young hockey team from Wayzata won a State Championship, a local sailor is recovering after a downhill ski accident, and much more. Here are the Top 5 Stories of the week for March 23 - March 29, 2009
Brought to you this time around by: Jon D. Williams Cotillions, [Social Skills and Etiquette Training] being held at the Wayzata Country Club, and by John Roti at M&I Mortgage, for all your residential lending needs. Call John at 952-697-4516 to refi your mortgage at historically low rates!
- Johnny Blanchard passed away. The Wayzata resident was a former catcher for New York Yankees, and played with the likes of Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and Roger Marris. Blanchard appeared with the Yankees in the World Series 5 times-- and helped the Bronx Bombers win the Series in 1961 and 1962. Apparently he was also good enough to play for the Minneapolis Lakers, but was prevented from doing so by his baseball team.
- In one of the final notes on the Hockey Season, your Wayzata Bantam A hockey team won the State Championship. The team beat Rochester 3 to 1 in championship game on Sunday, March 22, 2009 in Thief River Falls.
- Cappy Capper, Executive Director of the Wayzata Community Sailing Center, is recovering after a ski accident, and is expected to return home in a couple of weeks.
- Wayzata Sophomore Sarah Urke May Qualify for the US National Junior Team in Synchronized Swimming. Sarah has been a member of the Wayzata High School Varsity Synchronized Swim Team for three (3) years--and has contributing to Wayzata's winning the Minnesota State High School Championship for the last two years. She also has been competing in synchronized swimming for eight (8) eight years as club swimmer with Minnesota Synchronettes, which practices in Wayzata. Her ultimate goal is to make the US Olympic Team.
- The Luce Line Trail made the news a couple of times this week: MNDOT will be removing the old Luce Line Bridge today and as a result there will be a detour for Highway 12 through Long Lake and Orono today. Additionally, the DNR closed the Luce Line Trail to horses from Vicksburg Lane to Winsted due to deteriorating trail conditions.
Wayzata Public Schools is on Spring Break this week. Students will be taking it easy away from school and traveling to warmer parts of the Country