It was a Chilly week in Wayzata. Not literally the weather, as it was actually quite warm compared to the freezing temps we encountered in January, but rather because of a recurring event in which good sports knock around tennis balls on a makeshift golf course. A couple of local athletic teams advance to state, and a well known Wayzata defensive back wins a beauty contest. Here we go with the Top 5 Stories of the week for Feb. 2-8th, 2009.
- The 25th Chilly Open went Hollywood as local residents and merchants paired up to have fun by playing golf on frozen Lake Minnetonka. See who the golfers were, see some pictures that Elisha and I took walking the course, and watch a video of the event found on Youtube.
- Paul Hoffer, a defensive back with the Wayzata Football team that won the 2008 State Football Championship, won the eighth annual Mr. Wayzata pageant for the year 2009. Read a write-up from Wayzata Schools, watch the awards ceremony, or see a Youtube of a portion of the competition. Speaking of Wayzata Football, Wayzata.com recently posted Defensive Coach Matt Lombardi's highlights of the 2008 Championship Season. Watch part 1, part 2, or the directors cut.
- Ed Briesemeister indicated this week that the Wayzata Bay Redevelopment Co. will be driving about 20 piles into the ground the week of Feb 16-20th 2009 in order to conduct some tests which will help in the engineering of the new Bay Center.
- Wayzata Boys Hockey won over Armstrong earlier in the week and got thumped by Edina at Braemar 7-0. The Trojans are now 13-7-1 overall and 2-3 in the Classic Lake Conference. They will look to get back into the win column on Tuesday, Feb. 10 when they go on the road to face Buffalo in a 7 p.m. face off.
- The Nordic Ski Teams from Wayzata High School are on their way to State: read about it here: Bacso and Schember Lead Ski Teams to State