A message from your Wayzata Lions Club: May 4, 9:30 - 2:30, the National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota will host the second annual Possibilities Fair for Seniors Who Are Losing Eyesight. This fair will provide seniors with decreasing eyesight a hands-on opportunity to learn methods for improving their lives and interact with other seniors experiencing loss of eyesight. There is no doubt that many seniors you work with are losing some eyesight, as loss occurs more frequently among those who are older. Close to 14% of those 65 and older lose eyesight and that number grows to close to 22% when they reach 75. Seniors may not know about the training they need, such as adjustment to blindness, independent living skills, and Braille. The Possibilities Fair will offer older adults the opportunity to:
- Try demonstrations of talking devices
- Learn about travel techniques for getting around independently and safely
- Learn about techniques for cooking
- Learn about books on tape and newspapers over the telephone, talking computers and magnification devices
- Learn helpful hints about still enjoying life with decreased eyesight
- Visit interactive booths with an array of information, demonstrations and displays
More information and a registration form is on the website www.nfbmn.org/fair.