Tom Petters' attorneys are indicating that the government's attempt to restrict fees so as to preserve the assets for creditors makes it impossible for a good defense.
Jon Hopeman, Petters lead attorney, says that the team he has assembled will not be able to continue--and the team wonders if they will even get paid for the $500,000 in fees they have generated to date. Estimates to defend Petters are in the $5,000,000 range.
Read more about Petters' attorneys here:
- Pioneer Press: Petters' lawyers worry they won't get paid
- KSTP: Petters' attorneys go on strike
- KARE: Petters attorneys want to quit over nonpayment
- MPR: Petters attorneys want to quit over nonpayment
- Star Tribune: Petters' attorneys ask to withdraw