The Wayzata area community celebrates its 43rd Annual James J. Hill Days, presented by the Greater Wayzata Area Chamber of Commerce.
The whistle’s blowing and the 2017 James J. Hill Days is just around the bend, coming September 8, 9, and 10 to the shores of Lake Minnetonka in Wayzata. The proud residents, businesses, and community groups of this small town will roll out the welcome mat for over 50,000 guests for three jam-packed days of exciting events. From engine to caboose, there’s something for everyone – open-air street market, carnival, dachshund races, car show, parade, fireworks, big-name concerts, and so much more.
The Days just keeps adding more fun! New this year….
- Dakota Rail Classic – This all ages charity bike ride will be held on the Dakota Rail Regional Trail, offering spectacular views of Lake Minnetonka, and (depending on the distance), Lake Waconia too! The route is an out-and-back course with mile markers at the half-way points for 8, 16, 26, 42, and 54-mile rides. So join us Sunday, September 10th for the first annual Dakota Rail Classic for Bully Prevention, Presented by Zuma Blu. 100% of net proceeds will benefit Youth Frontiers retreats for kids in local schools.
- One of the biggest additions to this year’s James J. Hill Days is the MN Disc Dog Competition, featuring dogs doing tricks with frisbees! Big dog, little dog – any dog can do it! On Saturday, September 9 watch live demos in Depot Dog Park. Then Sunday, September 10th, the dogs will compete head-to-head for the competition from 9 am – Noon at the Wayzata Middle School Field.
- Lake Street Stage and Street Dance – Continuing to burst at the seams, The Days has also expanded live music with the free community street dance on Saturday. Band after band will rock the block as families and fans will enjoy incredible music and dancing. The night will be capped off with a spectacular fireworks celebration sponsored by Morrie’s Automotive Group and the Wayzata Lions Club. Check out the awesome line-up here:
- Just down Lake Street, big-name headliners take the two-night Beach Bash to a whole new level. Friday night’s concert features country star Randy Houser. And, Big & Rich with Cowboy Troy will take the stage at Wayzata Beach on Saturday night. Openers include Hitchville (Friday) and Chris Hawkey (Saturday). It’s going to be a great two nights of country music.
- Rails and Ales craft beer festival, returns Friday, September 8th to kick-off the weekend! And this year we’ve added live music to the lakeshore beer fest – the line-up will feature Lena Elizabeth, Gus Grace, and Americana Rock & Roll headliner– The Plott Hounds, sponsored by Real Estate Nation of Re/Max Results. Beer lovers rejoice as the event will feature more than 25 local craft beers for your tasting pleasure. In addition to unlimited samples, enjoy loads of fun, live music, and games in Depot Park. Limited tickets are available; Click here for tickets.
Returning James J. Hill Days classics include the Carnival sponsored by Lunds & Byerlys Wayzata, the Coaster Cart Derby sponsored by Youngstedts, and great vendors from all over the state for the open-air Street Market.
On Sunday puruse hundreds of vintage cars at the Charity Motorsport Show, enjoy a delicious flying pancake breakfast and get ready for a fan-favorite, the 43rd Annual James J. Hill Days Parade, sponsored by Wells Fargo. The Chamber is excited to announce the 2017 Grand Marshal, recently retired home-town Minnesota Viking, Chad Greenway!
Savor delicious eats and enjoy Eat Street on Lake Street, featuring over twelve of the twin cities top food trucks. Looking for more? Run off those calories and be sure to check out activity after activity at the Sports + Fitness District, sponsored by MedExpress Urgent Care. Stop by Saturday and Sunday for FREE logrolling demos, in the inflatable pool on Lake Street. Added bonus, guests can securely store their bikes on site while they enjoy the festival at the Bike Corral, sponsored by Erik’s Bikes.
Don’t miss your chance to test drive Boats where they perform best… right on the water. Join us on Saturday and Sunday from 10 am – 3 pm for an exclusive chance to demo brand new boats, check out the line-up, meet River Valley Power & Sport staff, and take advantage of some major deals.
Dog-lovers and sports fans, be sure to make a “whistle stop” on Saturday AND Sunday for two days of dog-gone good fun at the Wayzata Depot Park. It will be transformed into Depot Dog Park for an amazing canine extravaganza, and the location of our annual Dachshund Races & Costume Contest on Saturday, September 9th. Make sure to B.Y.O.D. (Bring Your Own Dog) again this year to Splash-for-Cash on Sunday, September 10th, where your dog can show off their jumping skills while raising money for Top Dog Foundation and competing for cash prizes for the farthest jumpers!
Hunter Handmade’s adorable Puppy Kissing Booth will be back (share your photo in the booth on FB or Instagram for a chance to win prizes) . Depot Dog Park, the Dachshund Races and Splash for Cash are presented by Flagship Marine Company, Top Dog Country Club, Small Business Mavericks, and Prosperwell Financial and sponsored by: Life’s a Beach Shoreline Services and Wayzata Home Laundry & Dry Cleaners.
A complete weekend schedule and further details for all events can be found at jamesjhilldays.com.