The Trojans took on the #1 seed, Woodbury Royals, in the second round of the section playoffs on Friday evening.

The first offensive drive for the Trojans was lackluster. A few misreads and sloppy execution ultimately led to a Wayzata fumble, recovered by Woodbury. Taking over at midfield, the Woodbury offense marched into the redzone. However, the Trojan defense held their own, letting up just a field goal.

The next Trojan possession resulted in a three and out, leaving it up to the defense to make a stop. Once again, the Royals found themselves deep in Wayzata territory and converted on another field goal. The score after the first quarter was 6-0, in favor of Woodbury.

The Wayzata offense opened the second quarter productively. First, Christian Vasser bounced it out to the sideline for a 33 yard scamper. On the very next play, Keaton Heide sold the run and dropped it into the hands of Nicholas Kallerup for the 47 yard touchdown. Traveling 80 yards in just two plays, the Trojan offense gained the confidence and momentum they needed to compete with this talented Woodbury team.

The second quarter clock ticked down as both teams struggled to get a drive going. With 3:30 left in the half, Woodbury crept their way to a first and goal from the 5-yard line. On the next play, the Trojan defense forced and recovered a Woodbury fumble. With just a couple minutes remaining, the Trojan offense was slow to build a drive. This lack of urgency led to another 3 and long situation. Unable to convert, Wayzata was forced to punt.

The Woodbury offense failed to build a late quarter drive. Score going into the half; 7-6, Wayzata.

The Royals received the ball to open the second half. It took just a few plays for them to pop off a touchdown run down the middle. Looking to score themselves, Wayzata took over at the 20. Unfortunately, a fumble and a few other miscues forced the Trojans to punt.

After both teams produced three and outs, the Trojans took the ball over at their 20 yard line. After a 1-yard gain, Malaki Jackson received the handoff and took the ball up the middle for a 79-yard touchdown. Now up a point, the Wayzata defense looked to get a stop. On third down, linebacker, Trevor Palesch dropped into coverage and picked off Woodbury’s pass. Unable to convert on a fourth and long, Wayzata turned the ball back over to the Royal’s.

Woodbury ate up much of the 4th quarter clock and put themselves in field goal range. Converting on the attempt, the Royals took a two-point lead.

Wayzata received the ball and drove it to their own 40 where they were forced to punt. With less than 4 minutes left, Woodbury gained possession and looked to keep the ball on the ground. On a key third down, the Royals fumbled deep in their own territory. Although they recovered and drained 2 minutes off the clock, they were forced to punt, leaving Wayzata with two minutes left and the ball at midfield.

Unable to move the ball, Wayzata approached a fourth and six with under a minute remaining. Opting to pass it, Heide hit Kallerup in the flat for a solid gain and a first down. Unfortunately, the Trojan’s couldn’t build off of this momentum fast enough. The clock expired with a final score of 16-14; Woodbury wins.

Hats off to the Trojans for a solid season.

Published by Sam Beaulieu

Undergraduate Student at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities Former Wayzata Football player

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *