Hennepin County experienced a three-percent increase in violent crime during the first three months of 2017, when compared to the same time period for the year before. Violent crime is defined as: homicide, rape, business robbery, person-to-person robbery, and aggravated assault.
“Hennepin County is a great place to live, but we cannot take our safety for granted. Crime is up and for that reason we all have to remain vigilant for the safety of our families and our neighbors,” said Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek.
The 2017 quarter one statistics also show a nine percent increase in property crimes when compared to 2016. Property crimes include: business burglary, residential burglary, larceny, motor vehicle theft, and arson.
In total, part 1 crimes are up eight percent. Part 1 crimes include both violent crime and property crime.
Partner with Sheriff to fight crime
Tipsters are encouraged to contact the Sheriff’s Office with information concerning suspicious activities or the whereabouts of fugitives by calling 1-888-988-TIPS.
- Submit an online form – which can be found at www.hennepinsheriff.org.
- Text us at 847 411 – begin your message with the keyword HCSOTip and then continue entering your tip.
- Download an app for iPhone or android phones. The apps can be located by searching for HCSOTip or Hennepin. Clicking on the app will bring up a tip form that you fill to provide information.
Texting or using an app does NOT replace 911 and should not be used in an emergency.
Suspicious Activity Reporting
- If you see something, say something – contact law enforcement if you see suspicious behavior. Call 911 or use anonymous tip methods.
- Reports should focus on behaviors and situations. A person’s race, religion, or ethnic background should not be the focus or basis for a report to law enforcement.
Lastly, if you have been incorrectly accused of a violent crime, it is paramount to secure the correct legal protection. My friend recently almost joined these legal statistics for homicide but because of his fantastic lawyer, he was protected from this accusations. It didn’t come without searching though, he spoke to similar lawyers such as Violent crimes defense attorney in Raleigh NC but ultimately decided to choose a different representative.